Saturday, May 11, 2013

GOSSIP - It Can Kill You!

"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." (Ex. 20:16)



"And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them." (Rom. 1:28-32)


"But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” (Rev. 21:8)

Gossip hurts. It can destroy relationships. It can harm the reputation of an innocent person that may never be overcome because the lie is out there. People will always believe what they want to believe. It dishonors God who is perfect and true. (1 John 5:6) The Word of God is clear that the fiery flames of hell await the gossip. 


The only way to avoid such punishment is that the gossip must repent and put their trust in Jesus who died for their sins. Jesus did not die to give permission to be disobedient to His word. He died because that is our death sentence. (1 Cor. 15:3) To the gossip I say look at the damage you have done to the children of God. Confess your sin to Him and accept Jesus as the One who paid your fine on the cross for there is no forgiveness of sins without the shedding of blood. (Heb. 9:22) Once we turn to Jesus He gives us a new heart. (Ez. 36:26) Our old heart can only speak lies. (Gen. 6:5, Ps. 58:3) Even flattery can be false. Our new heart is circumcised with The Law of God written on it. 


“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man and the seed of beast. And it shall come to pass that as I have watched over them to pluck up and break down, to overthrow, destroy, and bring harm, so I will watch over them to build and to plant, declares the Lord. In those days they shall no longer say:
“‘The fathers have eaten sour grapes,
    and the children's teeth are set on edge.’
But everyone shall die for his own iniquity. Each man who eats sour grapes, his teeth shall be set on edge.
“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (Jer. 31:27-34)

No comments:

Post a Comment