Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Epiphany, The Manifestation of God's Light

January 6th is the Feast of the Epiphany when we commemorate the visit of the Three Wise Men to the child Jesus in Bethlehem. The word 'epiphany' means manifestation of light! The Wise Men followed a bright light to the true light of the world. This season is a reminder that not only is Jesus the true light but we are not to put a basket over it but rather to let it shine brightly so that others may see Christ for themselves. (Mt. 5:14)

St. John begins his gospel by saying that Jesus is the Word made flesh and "in Him was life and the life was the light of men." (Jn 1:4) Jesus is word and light. We hear this in Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path." Imagine losing the lights in your home. In order to find our way we search for a flashlight or a candle so we do not hurt ourselves. We cannot see in darkness unless we have a light in our hands as we follow the beam to safety. Jesus is our light in our darkness. We find our way when we pick up His word and hold it in our hearts. One of my favorite songs based on Psalm 119:105 is "Thy Word" by Amy Grant.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.

When I feel afraid,
And think I’ve lost my way.
Still, you’re there right beside me.
Nothing will I fear
As long as you are near;
Please be near me to the end.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.

I will not forget
Your love for me and yet,
My heart forever is wandering.
Jesus by my guide,
And hold me to your side,
And I will love you to the end.

Nothing will I fear
As long as you are near;
Please be near me to the end.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
And a light unto my path.
You’re the light unto my path.

Darkness cannot overcome the Light that is from God! So let us with confidence hold God's Word in our hearts as we go where He leads us!

"Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in Heaven." Mt. 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment