Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Who is at the Center of our Baptism?

Since I believe there are no accidents in the Kingdom of God, I do not take for granted the various coincidences that I often see in the world about me. So when two reflections come across my Twitter timeline on the same subject, I cannot help but to think that this was meant to be. So here are the links to the different reflections. One is by a teacher who is doing a good work that is necessary and the other by the respected Anglican theologian, J. I. Packer. I do not expect every lay person to know theology but I do expect every lay person to know why we baptize and Who is behind this sacrament. After all, it is in the catechism. Our journey in Jesus Christ is one that moves from head to heart, from the self as center to Jesus as our ultimate center. The sacraments of the Church are more about God and His mercy towards us than they are about us and what we do. After all, without faith we cannot please God and faith is a gift from God to us. (Hebrews 11:6, I Cor. 12:9, 11)

For J. I. Packer's reflection go here http://www.standfirminfaith.com/?/sf/page/26691

For Michael Drawbough's reflection go here http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_125046_ENG_HTM.htm

DEARLY beloved, forasmuch as all men are conceived and born in sin: and that our Saviour Christ saith, None can enter into the kingdom of God, except he be regenerate and born anew of Water and of the Holy Ghost: I beseech you to call upon God the Father, through our Lord Jesus Christ, that of his bounteous mercy HE will grant to this Child that thing which by nature he cannot have; that he may be baptized with Water and the Holy Ghost, and received into Christ's holy Church, and be made a lively member of the same. BCP 1662

No comments:

Post a Comment