Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Whom do we serve?

I have updated my blog! Very few were reading the previous blog. As I prayed and struggled with my vocation, I realized too many clergy and other church leaders seem devoid of the Lordship of Christ in guiding ministry! The end of worship for the Christian is the praise and glory of our Father in heaven through Jesus Christ! Yet day to day activities seemed to be governed by what our heirarchy thinks to the movies that play in my head. Surely I am not alone! I love being a priest. I hate having to make people happy! I love the love of God. I am not God!

So here I choose not to be alone. Where I live I belong to a support group of clergy that consists of me, an Episcopal priest, a Baptist minister and a Reformed minister serving a Methodist Church. Funny, we go outside of our intuitions for support!

Anyway, my hope is that we who are in Church leadership can use this space to laugh, cry, moan, be real, be human and be God. After all, I cannot find anywhere where God wants us to be God. Oh wait a minute, was that not the temptation in the Garden, to be like God (Genesis 3:4)

I will be musing on how Scripture reveals what God wants of us. Until then I leave you with Paul's words to the Church in Galatia: I am not trying to please people. I want to please God. Do you think I am trying to please people? If I were doing that, I would not be a servant of Christ! (1:10 CEV)

No comments:

Post a Comment